Becoming the Woman I Needed — I Am Learning That My Worth Is Not Measured By What I Do For Others 🌿
Yesterday, I was listening to my partner talking to his parents.
He was telling them to spend money on themselves.
To do things that make them comfortable.
To enjoy life.
And honestly, I thought it was lovely.
Every parent deserves that kind of care from their children.
But it also made me think.
Why is it that sometimes when wives spend money, buy something they like, take time for themselves, or simply enjoy life, it gets questioned?
Why does one person’s comfort feel justified while another person’s comfort feels like it needs explaining?
For a moment, my mind started going down that path.
The path of comparison.
The path of trying to understand why people do what they do.
The path of wondering why some things feel easy for others but not for you.
And then I stopped myself.
Because I realized something.
Everyone sees the world through their own perspective.
Everyone has their own priorities.
Everyone values things differently.
And the truth is, I cannot control how someone else sees me.
I cannot control what they think is important.
I cannot control how they choose to show appreciation.
What I can control is how I see myself.
For so many years, I measured my worth by what I did for other people.
How much I helped.
How much I gave.
How much I sacrificed.
How available I was.
How understanding I could be.
And even after doing all those things, there were still moments where it didn’t feel like enough.
There was always something more.
Something else I could have done.
Something else I should have done.
It was exhausting.
Because when your worth depends on other people’s approval, you are constantly chasing something you can never fully catch.
These days, I think differently.
I know what I bring to the table.
I know my heart.
I know my intentions.
I know the effort I put into my family, my children, my work, and the people I care about.
And I no longer need someone else to confirm it for me.
My worth does not increase when someone praises me.
And it does not decrease when someone overlooks me.
My worth is not measured by how much I do for others.
It is not measured by how much I give.
It is not measured by how much I sacrifice.
My worth comes from who I am.
The woman who keeps going.
The woman who keeps learning.
The woman who keeps healing.
The woman who still chooses kindness even after being hurt.
Lately, I have reached a stage where I don’t feel the need to prove myself anymore.
I don’t need to convince people of my value.
I don’t need to explain why I deserve happiness.
I don’t need permission to enjoy my life.
What matters most now is protecting my peace.
Trusting myself.
And remembering that my value was never meant to be decided by someone else’s opinion.
My faith in God reminds me of that every day.
That I am enough exactly as I am.
Not because of what I do.
Not because of what I give.
Not because of what anyone else thinks.
But simply because I am me.
And for the first time in a long time, that feels like enough. 🌿✨
Comments