Becoming the Woman I Needed — I Am Learning That I Am Not Responsible for Everyone’s Happiness 🌿

I would be lying if I said healing means I never feel anxious anymore. I still do. Sometimes my body feels tense before my mind even understands why. There are moments when old memories quietly return, reminding me of experiences that once made me feel small, unheard, or uncomfortable. Healing doesn’t erase those memories overnight. It simply teaches you how to hold them differently. Lately, I found myself in one of those moments. Plans were being made, and although everyone else’s intentions may have been good, I realised I wasn’t feeling comfortable inside. I wanted to say something. I wanted to express how I felt. Not to hurt anyone. Not to stop anyone. Just to be honest about where I was emotionally. But before I found the courage, the decision had already been made. So I stayed quiet. And afterwards, I asked myself something that I’ve been asking more often lately. Why is it so hard for me to speak when something doesn’t feel right? The answer wasn’t because I don’t have thoughts. It wasn’t because I don’t care. It was because, for so many years, I became used to protecting everyone else’s feelings before my own. I worried about disappointing people. I worried about upsetting someone. I worried about how my words would be received. So I stayed silent. Silence felt easier. But lately I have realised something. Keeping the peace on the outside while losing your peace on the inside isn’t really peace at all. I am learning that having a voice doesn’t mean arguing. It doesn’t mean being disrespectful. It simply means allowing yourself to be honest. That is something I am still learning. I am not there yet. Sometimes I still say “yes” when my heart wants to say “not today.” Sometimes I still carry guilt for even thinking about choosing myself. Sometimes I still feel helpless in situations that seem bigger than me. And that’s okay. Healing isn’t about becoming fearless overnight. It’s about taking one small step at a time. Maybe today that step is simply admitting that speaking up feels difficult. Maybe tomorrow it will be saying one honest sentence. Maybe one day it will feel natural. I don’t know. But I trust that God is helping me find my voice, one moment at a time. For so long, I carried the emotional weight of keeping everyone else happy. I thought that if everyone around me was comfortable, then I had done my job. Now I am beginning to understand something different. I can love people deeply without ignoring myself. I can care without carrying every emotional burden. I can be kind without abandoning my own feelings. That doesn’t make me selfish. It makes me human. I am still healing. I am still learning. And sometimes I still feel anxious. But I also know this— God has never left me in the middle of my journey. He has gently guided me through every season. So even on the days when I don’t know what to say, I trust that He is slowly teaching me to find my voice. Because becoming the woman I needed isn’t about never feeling afraid. It’s about choosing honesty, even when my voice shakes. And maybe… that is where real healing begins.

Comments

Popular Posts